DW Unholy – It Might Happen
July 2, 2010 13 Comments
I’m not sure if I’ll post over the weekend but, in case I don’t, have a happy 4th of July!
(The Americans, anyways!)
After having explored the very real possibility of 2H Frost, it’s only natural to next contemplate DW Unholy.
- While Blizzard went out of their way to specifically state that they wanted to bolster 2H Frost in the expansion, they never explicitly declared any similar intentions for DW Unholy.
- That’s obviously not to say that Blizzard is against DW Unholy and that they would intentionally try to bring it down a notch if it became a viable (or even the optimal) option. Likely they don’t mind DW Unholy as long as 2H Unholy remains equally competitive. Still, it’s possible they don’t want to handle the hassle of balancing both styles in two trees, and thus will do what they can to avoid the headache here, while 2H Frost gets a pass (and actually a helping hand).
- Due to the fact that dual-wielding specs inherently scale better with stats, it’s much harder to give a 2H tree a DW option without having the DW option overshadow the 2H one then it is to give a DW tree a 2H option without the opposite complication.
- Just look at the only two samples of 2H trees getting the option of dual-wielding: Frost and Enhancement. In both cases, the 2H style died. Admittedly, yes, that’s a very small sample size (and, unfortunately, there’s no precedent for a DW tree getting a 2H option to compare), but it still doesn’t bode well.
- Frost used to have a 2H option, while Unholy has never had a real DW option. Thus bringing back the first isn’t the same as creating the latter.
- Yes, back in Naxx there was the whole 0/32/39 spec which was the build to be, and which happened to dual-wield. I’m not sure I would really call that an Unholy spec, however, due to it’s near-even split between the trees. In a world with mastery, that definitely wouldn’t qualify.