PTR – Just Some Reminders
September 13, 2010 77 Comments
It’s old news by now that 4.0.1, the pre-Cataclysm patch, is currently live on the PTRs. That’s great. I’m glad that all of those not in beta get to have some first-hand experience with the changes the class is undergoing. I’m happy, honest. There have been, however, numerous posts – not here, fortunately, but on the official forums and on Elitist Jerks (regrettably enough) – which are fundamentally flawed in one manner or another, as the author is analyzing the changes through the lens of Wrath and level 80, not Cataclysm and level 85. Don’t get me wrong, there is definitely good feedback one can give just from being on the PTR and not on the beta, but you do have to keep some things in mind:
- Yes, at 80 in current gear, Howling Blast may hit harder than Obliterate. It really shouldn’t, even at level 80, but it might depending on the exact gear you have. That does not mean a Howling Blast centric playstyle is anything to worry about! Not in the least. Oblit will ultimately outscale HB easily, as is readily experienced on the actual beta and as anyone can math out. Not just that, but even if HB did theoretically outdamage Oblit, so long as we’re GCD capped – which we are, beta or PTR – Oblit will still win. Plus, you have Rime procs. Suffice is to say, Obliterate is significantly better than Howling Blast. Don’t worry if anyone tries to say differently.
- Yes, the specs (Frost DW vs Frost 2H vs Unholy) are wildly unbalanced. Yeah. For lack of a more eloquent term: duh. The general pass isn’t complete and the number pass hasn’t happened yet, and even if it had, remember, things are going to be balanced around level 85 gear, so if one spec reigns supreme at level 80… it really doesn’t mean anything. Just don’t worry about numbers and focus on the playstyles themselves. I’ll be honest, I laughed when I saw a post where someone actually said, and I quote, “In its current form DW will be top DPS over 2H” for Frost. They have no clue what they’re talking about, and they’re basing it on nothing. Of course, this was the same post promoting an HB-focued rotation, so…
- No, the new rune system is not horrible and it doesn’t make it so you just hit a mess of buttons instead of a rotation. False and false. The new rune system, on its own, is perfectly fine. We still have a rotation ([Diseases > FS if RP capped > Rime > Oblit > BS > FS > HoW] for Frost and [Diseases > SD/DC if RP capped > DT > SS > FeS > DC > HoW] for Unholy, more or less). All the new rune system does is slow it down somewhat, by making for fewer rune abilities but more runic power and proc spells. If you feel like things are just utterly random and that there’s no semblence of thinking going on, it’s almost certainly just Runic Empowerment at play. Copy a second character over and don’t train RE and see how it feels. It’s really not all that different from live in terms of priority. The new rune system, by itself, is fine.
- Yes, the damage of almost every class is absurdly high at the moment. If you die in one or two globals, that isn’t reflective of you being “squishy” or what have you.
- Yes, various bugs (like diseases not benefiting from haste) are there on beta and they are (likely) not intended. Don’t worry about them.
- Yes, you can train Festering Strike on the PTR. It’s available sub-80+.
I’m sure there’s some other things I’m forgetting, and feel free to add in comments, but basically, remember to keep things in perspective. Stuff (especially numbers) are not complete and, even if they were, they’re not balanced around level 80 (and the gear/lack of new skills/lack of 5 talent points which that includes). Feedback is great, but this isn’t a regular patch, so keep that in mind.
Some of the posts/threads I’ve seen… ugh!